Riverside Memorial Company Co-Business of the Month
Riverside Memorial Company was chosen March 2015 Co-Business of the Month. Riverside Memorial Company is owned and operated by Carl Hood and has been in his family since the late 1930s. Carl’s father, Wilbur C. Hood, went to work for the gentleman who owned it in 1933 and purchased it soon after. Carl has worked at Riverside Memorial Company since 1960 and his son Marty Hood has worked there with him since 1980. The building is still used for its original purpose. It was built in 1893. At that time it was called Von Fossen Monument Shop. The front of the building is original except for the doors. Carl and Marty create monuments, markers, cemetery lettering, and stone repair. They also contract with the City of Beardstown to do repairs at the city cemeteries. When asked about future plans Carl stated that he would continue to operate the business and hoped his son would take over when he retired. Pictured is the Riverside Memorial Company located at 216 West 2nd Street.