The great Arlington house of Beardstown
When Beardstown was 100 years old, in 1879, if you arrived on the train there were two depots near 4th street. One depot for the CB&Q and another depot for the B&O. Also, there was a hotel on both sides of the track and one was called the Arlington House and according to the newspaper of that day which was the Beardstown Enterprise, they say that ever since this popular house was open to the public it has had a trade that many hotels double its size could not attract, and everyday the landlord regrets that he cannot accommodate more people in his limited amount of room, many being turned away. The Arlington contains 18 good rooms, and all of the guests of the Arlington are served with the best there is in the market in the way of meals. The beds and rooms are clean, neat and tidy, with special care being given to the sanitary condition.
The Arlington House is under the supervision of John A. Rhineburger and he has never lacked patronage, often he could have filled a house more than double its capacity. Being so close to both depots, it attracts a large trade from the traveling public and all baggage is carefully taken charge of by the employees of the hotel. <ahref="http://etypeservices.com/Cass%20County%20Star%20GazetteID497/"><spanstyl... 13px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">To view more, please log in or subscribe to the digital edition.</span></a></p>