Inside the Illiopolis ordinance plants

    When completed in late 1942, the Sangamon and Midland (Oak) Ordinance Plants covered more than 19,000 acres of prime farmland just west of Illiopolis. These plants would merge in September 1943 as Sangamon Ordinance under Remington Rand management.
    Those who worked there quickly earned an enviable reputation for safety, productivity and high morale. Plant workers boasted that an artillery shell manufactured and shipped on one day could be used against the enemy in as little as six days. Little  wonder that just seven months after opening, the plants received the prized Army-Navy E Award. Three more stars were added to their E Award flags before war’s end.

  To view more, please log in or subscribe to the digital edition.