Looking to the Past
In 1854, Beardstown contractor George Weaver completed construction of the three-story brick Virginia Seminary of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church on Virginia’s Morgan Street. In early 1857, the name was changed to Union College of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
Despite their ambitious plans to broaden the scope of the institution, Union College struggled to make ends meet. The name was later changed back to Virginia Seminary, though most called it “the college.”