Beardstown Main Street held it’s Shining Star Awards at a dinner held Saturday at the Elks Club. Categories and winners were selected from a committee of one representative from each of the four Main Street committees, which include Organization, Design, Promotions and Economic Restructuring.
1. Best dressed window - Holiday. A quality window display should be creative and interesting. Winner(s): Millards.
2. Best dressed window - Year round. A quality window display should change frequently throughout the year, be visually attractive and entice the passerby to enter the store. Winner(s): Pamidaa Rx.
3. Most Attractive Interior. The design, layout and product displays inside a store or business can provide a “fun to shop” atmosphere. The business has consistently produced attractive displays and/or created a welcoming and attractive interior. Winner(s): The 220, The Kitchen and Floor Shoppe.
4. Best Customer Service. Beardstown thrives because its many businesses offer personalized customer service. Winner(s): West Central Bank, Vredenburgh Lumber Co., First National Bank of Beardstown.
5. Best Business Neighbor. Beardstown is a neighborhood of businesses. As neighbors, we work together and help each other. Winner(s): The 220, Millard Florist.
6. Rookie of the Year. The first three years in business can be a challenge. Despite personal challenges, some new business owners “jump in” with both feet and volunteer their time and energy. This award recognizes a new business owner (opened in the past three years) who works to make this a great downtown community. Winner(s): Megan Zimny, The Kitchen & Floor Shoppe.
7. Outstanding Business Volunteer. Main Street is a volunteer-based organization. Our board of directors, committee members and event leaders are all volunteers. Winner(s): West Central Bank.
8. Two people who volunteered the most hours. These people contribute their time and effort to make sure Main Street events are successful. Winner(s): Pat Hall and Monte Osborne.
9. Outstanding Individual Volunteer. Similar to the Business Volunteer Award, many local residents and individuals also contribute much to make Beardstown a great place. This award recognizes an individual (non business owner). Winner(s): Jack Fearneyhough.
10. Most Improved Building. This award recognizes significant, and substantial private re-investment and improvement in Beardstown. Winner(s): Megan Zimny.
11. Main Street Spirit Award. This is the individual who embodies the spirit of Beardstown Main Street’s goals and mission. Winner(s): Megan Zimny.
12. Outstanding Sponsor Award. This award recognizes a sponsor who has financially supported the many programs and activities of Beardstown Main Street. Winner(s): West Central Bank.
13. Outstanding Contribution Award. This is a certificate of appreciation in recognition of its valuable contribution to Beardstown Main Street during 2013. Winner(s): City of Beardstown.