Help us “Raise A Reader.” Alpha Phi Chapter of Delta Kappa Gamma International is an honor society of women educators who reside in Morgan, Scott and Cass Counties. We began working on our “Raise a Reader” literacy project over eighteen years ago and are proud to have given this project continuous support helping parents to raise readers. We are asking you for financial support as we expand and improve our project.
We currently do several literacy activities designed to reach parents of young children and to put books in the hands of the youngest children.
• Each baby born at Passavant Hospital is welcomed with a packet containing a book for baby and an information-filled baby calendar covering baby’s first year. Parents are encouraged to use the calendar to follow their baby’s development. Passavant Hospital prints and distributes the calendar for us.
• Enclosures in the packet welcome baby and stress the importance of early language interactions with baby. The Jacksonville Public Library includes information in our packet about the importance of reading to children.
• In addition, we donate 500 books to the Morgan and Cass County Health Departments each year to be distributed to young clients who come for immunizations or health care visits.
• We distribute over 200 books at the “Diaper Bags to Backpacks” fair in downtown Jacksonville each year.
We are seeking funds as we plan to expand and enhance this program for the coming year.
• We plan to expand our program to include books for the Scott County Health Department and the Cass County satellite office in Beardstown.
• We are developing a DVD for parents demonstrating language interactions with young children.
• We are creating rack cards with suggested language interaction activities for various ages for distribution through all three county health departments.
• We plan to provide these rack cards and some books in Spanish and French as well as English to meet health department needs in our counties.
If we are able to raise sufficient funds, we would also like to be able to expand our efforts to furnish more books to all health departments in the tri-county area where we feel we are able to get books into the hands of children who may not have books available. As your group budgets its available funds, we hope you will consider a donation to our project. A donation in any amount would be welcomed. Your group will be listed as a sponsor in the next printing of the calendar and at health department offices. Thank you for your consideration.
Send donations to: Alpha Phi Chapter, Delta Kappa Gamma International, Literacy Project Chairman: Kathy English, 1653 Gravel Springs Rd., Jacksonville, IL 62650.
Alpha Phi Chapter
of Delta Kappa